On Sunday morning I ordered myself a nice little pre-passing-qualifiers present: a shiny new 200 GB hard drive from Staples. After rebate I got it for about $40 or so. Not a bad deal. However, installing it was a royal pain. I’m convinced that if I buy more I’m just going to get a firewire card and make them external.
The problem resulted from the wiring in my case, which still uses ribbon ATA cables and how I needed to move some drives around and disable my plain 56x CD rom drive. Then I made the mistake of using the MaxBlast setup software, which ended up blowing away my installation of GRUB. Unfortunately, the Ubuntu Live-CD was providing no love when it came to reinstalling grub. So I went and made a fresh Ubuntu install on the new drive, then used that to fix my grub for my old drive. Much more hassle than it should be. Fortunately, my system recognizes that 200GB drive in linux, even though the bios says it’s only 137GB. Yay. This means 200 hours of TV.